Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

~ College World Series
















The College World Series is coming to a close . . . in more ways than one. Once the last inning is played and the winning team is crowned the victor, the series and Rosenblatt will come to an end. The CWS will move to its new home in downtown Omaha while Rosenblatt Stadium will be bulldozed, allowing Henry Doorly Zoo to expand. It’s kind of bittersweet. While the CWS will move on to something bigger and better, a monument & legacy in Omaha will be torn down. How weird will it be to drive down 13th Street and not see Rosenblatt? Don't forget who wins the series this year.....we might find it as a trivia question someday - Who was the last team to win the CWS at Rosenblatt Stadium?


For as long as I can remember, KJ and I have found our way to Rosenblatt during the CWS. Once we had the kids, we brought them with us. As they got older, it became a tradition that we’d go Father’s Day weekend. It's true what they say - baseball is definitely a family thing. The four of us would pick our favorite team for that series and from then on, it was ‘may the best team win.’


It soon became a family joke that one could pick whatever team they wanted because ‘Mom’s team always goes home first.’ It was like I was automatically jinxing the team I picked to win the series.


However, this year is different. Just because KJ and I now live in California doesn’t mean we don’t continue the tradition of picking our teams. When I told Lynsay what team I picked, I heard, “Mom!! Don’t you look at stats?” I stared at the phone and thought to myself, ‘Who IS this child talking to me about stats?’ When I told Ryan, I heard, “You’ll be going home first.”


Well, I’m here to tell you that the “Moms team always goes home first” streak has been broken. My pick, (South Carolina Gamecocks) is playing their 2nd game in the Championship right now, as I sit here typing. So, to my son, my daughter and KJ.......neener neener neener. Uh huh, I really did just say that.


Excuse me while I go cheer on my team . . . .


Oh, btw.....Go Cocks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment