Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Saturday, September 11, 2010

~ It's Official
















It’s official. My California drivers license arrived in the mail yesterday making me a licensed California driver but, like I told KJ . . . NOT a Californian!


I had to get ugly when I went back in (for the 4th time) with my marriage license. When the lady tried to tell me that my marriage license wasn't legit, I had finally had enough. I said, "Look, this is the 4th day that I've been in here trying to get something I don't even want. Trust me, I'd rather go back to Nebraska, get my license renewed there and be done with it but I'm trying to do things the right way. I've been jerked around for 4 days now by people who hate their job and are taking it out on whoever walks in the door. This is my birth certificate. This is my VALID Nebraska drivers license. This is my marriage license...with the Nebraska state seal on it. It doesn't get any more legit than that. Please just let me take the damn test so I can get the hell out of here and go home, I'm tired of spending 3-4 hours every day here trying to get a drivers license."


After giving me a blank stare, she got up and took everything to her supervisor who, I swear to God, looked at my marriage license for a good 10 minutes. Finally, the girl came back over, sat down at her desk and turned the form that I filled out around so I could see it. She then said, “I need you to fix the 'p' on your signature because it looked liked an 's'. I was like...."Seriously? All of this because of my signature?" Never in my life have I experienced anything as screwed up as the California DMV.


Oh, and to make matters worse.....the guy who told me I passed the test, poked a hole in my Nebraska license. I could have cried. Instead, I looked him dead in the eye and told him that was sacrilegious!


My happy ass may be in California - with a California drivers license - but my heart is deeply rooted in Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment