Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Monday, October 24, 2011

~ With The Exchange of a Ring





















It’s amazing to me how an event that can take over a year to plan will finally arrive, and then, with the blink of an eye and the exchange of a ring, it’s over. After a 14-month engagement, Lynsay and Cody tied the knot on October 15th, 2011. After months of planning and last minute fine-tuning, ‘Wedding Day’ finally arrived.

As the mother of the bride, I may be a bit prejudice, but I swear the day couldn’t have been more perfect. The sun was shining and the temperature outside was a glorious 74 degrees. Personally, I believe that my mom had a little something to do with the weather; there wasn’t a cloud or raindrop to be found. In the warmth of the sun, I felt her presence. The bride was breathtaking and the groom was handsome. The ceremony was beautiful and touching, the reception was simply elegant, and the dance had downtown Omaha rockin’ and rollin’. It was truly a night to remember.

The moment a little girl marries off her Ken and Barbie, sending them off on a romantic honeymoon in Barbie’s pink convertible, visions of her own wedding begin to dance through her head. I can only imagine how many ‘princess’ weddings there actually are every year. As her mom, I can only hope that Lynsay’s wedding day was everything and more than she ever dreamed it would be.

There are so many little details when planning a wedding and I have to say that Lynsay didn’t miss a single one. Because it was her wedding, I did my best to keep in the background, offering advice or words of wisdom only when she asked me. I had my own wedding almost 30 years ago; this was her wedding and naturally, like everything else, she wanted to do it her way. And truth be told, I wouldn’t want it any other way.

It was a celebratory weekend, to be sure; friends and family from near and far were there to share in the glorious day. It was evident to all in attendance that Lynsay and Cody were surrounded by loved ones and that same love was felt throughout the entire weekend.

Sitting in the pew watching as KJ walked her down the aisle, a lump formed in my throat. Watching him look at her before handing her over to Cody, I actually sobbed a bit. But sitting there made me think. I thought back to my own wedding day and how my mom must have been feeling on the day I married KJ almost 30 years ago. I wondered if, at any time, she felt that ‘loss’ that I was feeling. Oh, I know that I wasn’t actually losing Lynsay, but I have to admit that a teeny tiny part of me was longing for the days when she would crawl up on my lap and fall asleep, the days that I was the first person she wanted to see at the end of her day, and the days she would reach up for my hand as we walked through a crowded store. With the exchange of a ring, she transformed to a Mrs.

I've discovered that it’s one thing when your kids move out to live in a place on their own and it’s something totally different when they get married. At that point, their spouse becomes their first priority and suddenly, with the exchange of a ring, there’s another family to be considered when it comes to celebrating holidays, birthdays, etc.

However, there is this huge positive aspect to consider when your child gets married; the addition of a ‘new’ child. I now have a son-in-law and I couldn’t be more thrilled. KJ and Ryan now have an extra ‘vote’ while Lyns and I have that “3-2” vote to look forward to. With the exchange of a ring, our family of 4 became a family of 5.

Lynsay and Cody, my wish for you is a lifetime of belly laughs, and a houseful of babies just like you; babies with a joyous nature and a laughing spirit. May you always walk side by side and never forget that in life, it’s not so much about the destination as it is the journey. Always, always savor the journey.

May your marriage be a long and unforgettable journey filled with an abundance of love, never-ending laughter, miles of patience, and a strong and unbending faith that will help carry you up and over whatever speed bumps life will inadvertently place in your path.

Remember that home, whether near or far, is not only where your heart is, but always where your family is.

And always remember that I love you both . . .






















No comments:

Post a Comment