Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Sunday, February 21, 2010

~ A Ya Ya/Pipette Birthday






















I consider myself very blessed in the fact that I’m surrounded by a loving family. I also have a strong group of women who I am honored to call friends.


The “Pipettes” were conceived in a bar in Oklahoma City during a NAPF Board meeting. The girls had all had maybe a wee bit more wine than we should have had and sometime during that evening, Debra had an idea. We would soon be going to Hawaii for a NAPF meeting and she thought it would be fabulous if the wives of the board members ‘performed’ at the dinner. Because we had all had too much wine, we were just crazy enough to agree that yes, that’s a fabulous idea. *shakes my head*


I think we were all secretly hoping that this idea was born of too much alcohol and would soon be forgotten. We couldn’t have been more wrong. We chose our songs and we spent months memorizing the lyrics. Hey, even lip-syncing, we still didn’t want to mess up.


Once we got to Hawaii, and with the help of Lynsay, we were ready. Or as ready as we would ever be. We weren’t exactly spring chickens and we certainly couldn’t move nearly as good as Lynsay could. But, the Pipettes had arrived. And let me just say that that night was the most fun the Pipettes have ever had.


As women, our friendships are important to us. The laughter and joy that surrounds us when in the company of our girlfriends is a piece of thread from the fabric of our lives that is irreplaceable. I, for one, would be lost without the women in my life. Through the years, each one has touched my heart and filled a space where memories are stored and brought out often.


Last week was Debra’s birthday. One year after the Pipette’s debut, I found a birthday card from Hallmark, one of those that sings when you open it. When she opened it up, Donna Summer belted out, “I Will Survive”. This was one of the songs the Pipettes performed and it was the most perfect birthday card in the history of birthday cards.


In honor of Debra and the Pipettes, I’ve copied the lyrics to “I will Survive”; I know the girls will get a kick out of this.


Debra, I hope you had the birthday of birthdays. Thank you for being one of the threads in the fabric of my life.




I Will Survive lyrics ~


At first I was afraid

I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never live

without you by my side

But then I spent so many nights

thinking how you did me wrong

And I grew strong

And I learned how to get along

and so you're back

from outer space

I just walked in to find you here

with that sad look upon your face

I should have changed that stupid lock

I should have made you leave your key

If I had known for just one second

you'd be back to bother me


Go on now go walk out the door

just turn around now

'cause you're not welcome anymore

weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye

Did you think I'd crumble

Did you think I'd lay down and die

Oh no, not I

I will survive

Oh as long as I know how to love

I know I will stay alive

I've got all my life to live

I've got all my love to give

and I'll survive

I will survive (hey-hey)


It took all the strength I had

not to fall apart

kept trying hard to mend

the pieces of my broken heart

and I spent oh so many nights

just feeling sorry for myself

I used to cry

But now I hold my head up high

and you see me

somebody new

I'm not that chained up little person

still in love with you

and so you felt like dropping in

and just expect me to be free

and now I'm saving all my loving

for someone who's loving me


Go on now go walk out the door

just turn around now

'cause you're not welcome anymore

weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbye

Did you think I'd crumble

Did you think I'd lay down and die

Oh no, not I

I will survive

Oh as long as I know how to love

I know I will stay alive

I've got all my life to live

I've got all my love to give

and I'll survive

I will survive

1 comment:

  1. Variable volume adjustable hand pipetters are very useful in any laboratory where multiple volumes are needed.
    Pipette

    ReplyDelete