Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

~ Pappy & Harriet's . . . and Jack

Not too long ago, we discovered Pioneertown and this wonderful honkey-tonk, biker bar called Pappy & Harriet's. This gem is tucked away up a mountain road in Yucca.


Our first visit there, we explored Pioneertown and then went into Pappy & Harriet's for adult beverages and food. We’re sitting there with our friends, Bob & Mary, having a grand time when, at 5pm, our waitress comes over and informs us that she has to kick us out of our table. Seriously? We’ve been buying alcohol for the past 3 hours and you’re kicking us out? Sadly, yes.


It seems that on the weekends, Pappy & Harriet's has live music and if you want to stay, at least at a table, you have to have reservations. Yes, at a honkey tonk. Reservations. Go figure. Fortunately, we found room at the bar but we couldn’t hear the band at all. But, the food was wonderful and the entertainment (and I’m not talking about the band) was the best anyone could ask for.


So, this past weekend, we once again found ourselves on the road to Yucca, but this time...we had not one reservation, but two! One for the early seating and one for the late seating. (In case we weren’t quite ready to go home). Which we weren’t.


It was during the 2nd seating that I met Jack, an adorable little man with sparkling eyes, an addictive laugh and a smile that melted my heart. Jack is all of 7 years old. Jack was there with his dad, who in his own right was some guy that, according to Mary, I should have known, but I was so taken with Jack, I could have cared less about who Jacks dad was.


We were all sharing one big table, introducing ourselves, etc. I eventually glanced over at this adorable boy and asked his name. He eventually walked around to the end of the table where I was sitting and proceeded to chat like small boys do. He told me how old he was and where he lived (by the ocean) and when I asked him if he surfed, he shyly admitted that he did. Later on that evening, Jack came back to where I was sitting and showed me some motorcycle game he was playing on his dads iPhone. He’d laugh and giggle at some silly thing the bike would do and that laugh, in all its innocence, touched me in a place that had me yearning. For grandchildren.


Maybe it’s because I’m getting closer and closer to being 50. Maybe it’s because I realize that at any given moment, anything can happen. Or maybe it’s just because I know how short and precious life is and I’m becoming impatient.


I know that while grandchildren are somewhere in my future, they’re not in my ‘near’ future. When the time comes, I hope I have a grandchild just like Jack with his infectious laugh and his mischievous twinkling eyes.


It’s a given that he’ll have a quick and ready smile that will melt his grandma’s heart . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment