Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Thursday, June 4, 2009

~ Mother's Day Weekend
















Our second trip home was for Ryan's graduation that just happened to be held over Mother's Day weekend. Yay me! This was perfect for me because last Mother's Day, KJ and I got up and met Lynsay for breakfast. After breakfast, we started our long trek to California, stopping in Lincoln to pick up Ryan. It was my worst Mother's Day ever and the visual I have of Lynsay standing in the parking lot of Village Inn will forever be in my mind. Being able to be with both the kids this Mother's Day was a gift in itself.

Again, we flew into Omaha on Thursday, giving us 3 full days with the kids. I spent Friday visiting friends while KJ did his thing. Saturday was graduation and the day/weather was beautiful. We got up early and headed out with Lynsay to Lincoln and the Devaney Center. I've heard nightmares of how college graduations can drag on and on but I was pleasantly surprised that this one seemed to fly by. Lynsay and I sat there and critiqued the shoes that the girls were wearing....lol and that helped pass the time.

As each college was announced the students in that college proceeded up the middle aisle to shake the hand of the dean of that college and then receive their diplomas. I can't tell you how it felt to watch Ryan walking up for his diploma, never taking my eyes off of him. The pride I felt and the emotions that threatened to bubble over. Suddenly, my eyes got misty and the memories started flashing through my mind like movie clips. In my minds eye, I saw him at his pre-school graduation with the little paper cap on his head. Next came his first day of kindergarten and how after driving him to school, he jumped out of the car and went running up to the school, leaving me there thinking, "wait, it's not supposed to be like this; you're supposed to be clinging to my leg, begging me to let you stay home." I saw him in little league and peewee football. I saw him entering junior high and then high school. His first job. I saw him on the wrestling team, the golf team and the Varsity football team. I saw him at his high school graduation. And then, my mind seemed to slow down as I remembered the day he left for college. I remember taking him out to dinner with some friends and how after dinner, he and Zach got into Zach's truck and drove away while Julie (Zach's mom) and I stood there crying. I mean, hell.....they didn't even act sad to be leaving us! It was like kindergarten all over again! Then came the day when Ryan told me he no longer wanted to live in the dorms. Well, to me, that meant getting a house and getting a house meant NEVER coming home. At least when he lived in the dorms, he had to come home during breaks. I was heartbroken. But, the house came into play and the boys were thrilled. And, he still came home. Now, 5 years later, I was watching this incredible young man end one chapter of of his life while preparing for the next one.

There was a small party that night for Ryan, Kyle and Tucker ~ the three of them have been friends since high school and roommates all during college. It was one of those nights where once again we were surrounded by friends and family for a celebration. It was a lot of fun and evidently we were having so much fun, one of the neighbors called the cops! I'll never forget the end of the party when Kenny, Ryan and I were leaving. Ryan, Kyle and Tucker were all in the family room shaking hands (being guys) and the next thing I know, one of them said "forget this, let's have one last roomie hug!" It sounds silly, but seeing those boys standing there in the middle of their friends and family hugging, made me cry.

The next day was Mother's Day which meant I got to spend the entire day with the kids and I was thrilled. We went to brunch, did some shopping and then had dinner together that night. The next day, KJ and I flew back to California.

I missed the kids before I even got on the plane . . .

(the pic up there is Tucker, Kyle and Ryan)

1 comment:

  1. Mickey
    This is my second attempt to post to this.....did anything show up before? It doesn't look there are any comments so I am wondering what the heck I am doing wrong. Let me try again :-0

    ReplyDelete