Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Monday, July 13, 2009

~ What Do You See?























I have found in my life that I'm anal. Some call me Type A but I don’t think I’m a complete Type A person. I’m lax about some things while being totally anal about others.


For example, I sometimes find that I can’t seem to sit still; I feel like I should always be up doing something. When the kids were small, I was always doing something. I was constantly on the go, sometimes forgetting, as I was pulling out of the driveway, just where it was I was supposed to be going. Was I supposed to be picking someone up or dropping someone off? Cleaning? I can be a fanatic. I remember when I used to vacuum on a daily basis. Sick or anal....you decide. Even though it’s just me and Kenny at home, I still clean every week and much to Murphy's delight, I no longer vacuum every day!


I’m also one of those who, if there is a book out that I like and it happens to be in a series, I have to read the series in its entirety, one right after the other. I don't like to wait months for the next book to come out and then have to remember what happened in the previous book. Hey, we all know that I do have my blonde moments and not only am I directionally challenged, my memory isn’t quite what it used to be.


With that being said, the last and final book in the Harry Potter series finally came out in paperback last week. Needless to say, I was beyond thrilled. So excited that Kenny even offered to have me at Walmart at midnight just so I could have it. Sweet guy, huh?


This is one series in which I couldn’t wait for all the books in the series to come out before reading the first one. Admittedly, I did collect the first 4 before actually starting the series. After that, waiting for the rest of them to come out was torture; I’m hardly the most patient woman on the planet. I didn’t think I’d like the books but it turns out that I love them. I found myself anxiously waiting for each book to come out. Every Christmas, I’d buy whichever movie had come out on DVD for Lynsay. Now, I’m also one who can’t watch a movie without reading the book first. So, I found that in order to watch the movies, I had to first get busy reading.


Which brings me to this blog . . . in the first book, "Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone", Harry comes across a special mirror, the Mirror of Erised. When Harry first stumbles across this mirror, he gazes into it and sees his parents and other beloved family members who are long gone. Naturally, Harry is in awe of this mirror, thinking that he is in fact looking into a special mirror that allows him to see his parents and vice versa. However, as Dumbledore later explains to Harry, this is a mirror where one is shown their deepest, most desperate desire of their heart.


This, of course, started my mind to wander, as it’s sometimes known to do.


What if we all had that mirror?


So, just for grins and giggles, close your eyes and picture yourself walking down long, crooked hallways, and up & down winding staircases. At the end of your journey, you come to a heavy, ornate, wooden door. You push open the door and slowly step inside a room that is illuminated by what seems like hundreds of candles. Standing there, in the middle of this spacious room is a single item...a mirror.


Now, let's just say that this mirror is the Mirror of Erised and you get one shot. You find yourself slowly walking towards it, like it’s silently beckoning you forward. Once you reach the mirror, you stand there, silently gazing deeply into your own reflection. You know that this mirror will eventually show the deepest, most desperate desire of your heart.


Now ask yourself this question . . .


What will you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment