Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

~ Hope & Faith






















"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."
~ English proverb



This is the type of week it's been. My family has had to hope for the best but yet prepare ourselves for the worst.

I'm not a very religious person and I don't go to church on a regular basis. Weddings and funerals are the extent of my seeing the inside of a church. That being said, I'd like to think that my faith is still strong.

Most of you know what's been going on with my mom. Some might even have wondered why I'm still in California instead of in Oklahoma with my mom and my family. The past week has been a week of getting a diagnosis, a 'fact finding' week, so to speak. and until we had all the facts, it was pointless for me to fly out there. I wanted to wait until I had all the facts and the answers I needed.

In any case, some of the results have come back but as of yet, treatment options are still being decided. The PET scan doesn't show cancer anywhere else but in the lung. She has a non small cell tumor in the right lung. The tumor is 2 1/2 inches long. There is also a mass showing on the lining of the lung and they don't know yet what that might be. However, the cancer is contained in the right lung and there seems to be no cancer in the lymph nodes.

At this point, she's home, resting comfortably and taking coumadin to dissolve the numerous blood clots that she has. A home health care nurse will be there twice a day to give her a shot and take any blood work that needs to be done.

The next step is having a thoracic surgeon go over all the tests and the results and then he, along with her oncologist, will lay out the treatment options and we'll go from there.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as we find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment