Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

~ Last Stop, Santa Monica

Last summer when Ryan was still here doing his internship for Peter Kiewit, he came home one weekend and we drove to LA to watch Kevin & Beth’s daughter Megan at a dance competition. It was great fun because I got to sit and watch Megan and Gloria dance (both girls danced with Lynsay on the dance team during high school) and afterwards, KJ and I took Ryan to Santa Monica for a quick dinner and stroll down the pier.


This time KJ and I went window shopping down the promenade and then went down to the pier where I got some great pics of the beach and the ocean. Notice in a few of the pics, the smoke from the wildfires is still pretty noticeable. Again, the fires were such a fascination to me and that extreme force of nature was just, I don't know, indescribable. At the same time, it left me with this feeling of such sadness because in the back of my mind, I knew that there was incredible danger for the communities in that area. What was really bizarre was being there on the beach, the ocean vast and open in front of me and all I had to do was turn around and see the smoke billowing off in the distance behind me.


After leaving Santa Monica, we drove down Melrose (saw LOTS of billboards advertising the new Melrose Place show) and hit our last destination ~ a hotdog stand called “Pink’s” that KJ saw on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It’s literally a hotdog stand where you stand outside in line, go up to the counter and order and then eat at picnic tables in the back of the place. We stood in line for a good 45 minutes (I’m dead serious) and when we finally got up to place our order, the line behind us was much longer than it was when we first got in line. The menu had an abundance of hot dogs and burgers so I chose a simple chili dog which was pretty good.


All in all, it was a great day. It was wonderful to get out of the 115 degree heat and be able to smell the ocean air and feel that ocean breeze on my face.


If you’re interested, theses are the websites for Langer’s Deli, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Pier, and Pink’s Hot Dogs ~


http://www.langersdeli.com/

http://www.rodeodrive-bh.com/index4.html

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/index.htm

















No comments:

Post a Comment