Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Saturday, January 23, 2010

~ Starstruck























This is what you’ll find if you search ‘golf’ on Wikpedia.com:


Golf is a precision club-and-ball sport, in which competing players (golfers), using many types of clubs, attempt to hit balls into each hole on a golf course while employing the fewest number of strokes. Golf is one of the few ball games that does not require a standardized playing area. Instead, the game is played on golf "courses", each of which features a unique design, although courses typically consist of either nine or 18 holes. Golf is defined, in the rules of golf, as "playing a ball with a club from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules." Golf competition is generally played for the lowest number of strokes by an individual, known simply as stroke play, or the lowest score on the most individual holes during a complete round by an individual or team, known as match play.


Golf. Everyone knows that not only do I not play golf, I don’t watch golf. I’ve never had much interest in watching a bunch of guys stand around waiting to hit a little white ball across a wide expanse of green grass or sand and try to land it in a little bitty hole. Well okay, I wasn’t interested until Tiger hit the scene and despite Tigers behavior lately and the fact that he’s gone into hiding, Tiger is still one hell of a golfer. And yes, I do watch Tiger. And while I totally get that it's not near as easy as it may look, it's still not a sport that I can get into. I much prefer baseball or hockey.


Now, this is my description of golf: standing on the 1st tee box at the Nicklaus Private course at PGA West watching celebrities and pros tee off in the Bob Hope Classic. On a beautiful, sunny California day.


I readily admit that I was starstruck. Not ‘mouth hanging open, I’m a tourist’ starstruck, but starstruck just the same. The first celebrity I saw this morning was William Devane as he was getting ready to practice his putting. As I had flashbacks of him in Knots Landing, I turned around and told KJ I was in lust all over again. With William Devane, not KJ. *shrugs*


Next, we saw Jeffrey Donovan, the guy who plays Michael Weston in “Burn Notice.” We’re watching him putt and he couldn’t putt to save his life. KJ said something about ‘this guy not being able to putt’ and then when we realized who he was, we didn’t care that he couldn’t putt. What can I say, the guy is hot and we like his show.


Now, once I got to the 1st tee, you couldn’t drag me away. I missed seeing Dr. Phil (and I really wanted to ask his advice), but I did see:

Alfonso Ribeiro from “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air”

Bo Jackson

Jeremy Roenick (retired Blackhawk hockey player) umm, you should have seen this guys chest! *fans self*

Gary Valentine from “The King of Queens”

Tom Dreesen (a comedian I’ve never heard of)

Tommy Thayer (guitarist from KISS - didn’t recognize him without his make-up on!)

Greg Maddux (baseball player)

Oliver Hudson (from Rules of Engagement and brother of Kate Hudson)

Vinny Testaverde

Emmitt Smith

Kyle Mc Lachlan from Desperate Housewives

Bruce Jenner

Kurt Russell

Kevin Nealon from SNL

Evan Longoria (baseball player)


I was really hoping to see Alice Cooper. Seriously, who would have ever thought that Alice Cooper can play golf? It boggles the mind! Of all the celebrities we saw, Kevin Nealon and Brue Jenner were the friendliest while Kurt Russell didn’t even acknowledge that the fans were there. I was disappointed because I’ve always been a big Kurt Russell fan.


When you think about it, these guys want to play in the Classic. It’s for charity. You’d think that knowing that people come to watch them play, to be able to get a glimpse of a star that they like, they’d be a little friendlier. But that’s just my opinion.


Oh, I did see the pro golfers, too: Mark Calcavecchia, Rich Beem, and Rickie Fowler, just to name a few. I saw more but because I don’t follow golf, I couldn’t tell you who they are. I will say this ~ Rickie Fowler had quite the following and they say he will be the next Tiger Woods. Other than the fact that he went to Oklahoma State, he had it going on, so I’m pulling for him.


I gotta go get my beauty sleep ~ I’m hoping to see Patrick Warburton tomorrow ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment