Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Thursday, January 14, 2010

~ Veggie Recipe


















I hate vegetables. Or anything remotely resembling vegetables. Unless it’s corn. If it’s corn, I’ll eat my share and more than likely yours too. Corn on the cob? Yum. Oh, and I love mashed potatoes with my corn; nothing better than mixing the two together.


I detest anything green. Spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus, peas. Brussel sprouts? Seriously, who eats that stuff, anyway? I tolerate green beans and broccoli.


Unfortunately, KJ likes the green vegetables. So, while at Costco over the weekend, I purchased some asparagus thinking I’d find something to do with it. I did. And it was good.


I found the recipe in one of my magazines ~ Best of Taste of Home: 250 of Our Most Popular Recipes. A lttle tip....if you’re like me and not fond of asparagus, don’t overcook it; you’ll want it to be crisp. Something about the asparagus being crisp and not all mushy makes it easier to go down..lol.


*Asparagus Nut Stir-Fry*


1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus spears, trimmed

2 tbsp Canola oil

1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper (I used an entire red pepper)

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1 garlic clove, minced

1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp chicken broth

1/2 tsp each sugar and salt


In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry asparagus in oil until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.


In the same pan, stir-fry the red pepper, walnuts, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes for 2 minutes or until red pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt; heat through. Add asparagus, too to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment