Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Monday, August 17, 2009

~ And It Tasted Like Sawdust






















Every now and then I run across something that throws me back to the days of my childhood. The other day I was looking at a site that I enjoy browsing through and came across this picture of the Easy Bake Oven. God, I think this was one of my most favorite toys when I was younger. It was like magic ~ a little light bulb in the belly of this play oven could magically turn watery batter into something totally inedible.


I’m fairly certain the one I had looked just like this blue one. If I try really hard, I can conjure up pictures in my mind of it sitting on the kitchen counter, the light bulb flickering on and off in its belly so the inside could get hot enough to bake a minuscule cake or teeny tiny cookies.


I’m also fairly certain that every thing that I pulled out of it tasted like sawdust. But, God bless my mom, she ate it anyway. All the cakes that were the size of silver dollars and flat as pancakes, the cookies that were the size of quarters...she ate every bite without batting an eye. Needless to say, the charm of the Easy Bake oven did not turn me into Martha Stewart.


Oh, my baking skills have improved over the years. My mom told me I bake the best Snickerdoodle cookies and homemade brownies she’s ever tasted. Once I got married and the kids came along, baking took a back seat to the kids, the job, basic family life. My baked goods came out of a box or a tube. KJ jokes that our grandkids will tell everyone that their grandma makes the best boxed brownies ever. Something every grandma wants to be remembered for ~ her boxed brownies.


In any case, the Easy Bake oven was one of those toys of yesteryear that brought hours and hours of fun to girls of all ages.


Hours and hours, or at least until the lightbulb burned out. Which, for my mom, probably wasn’t soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment