Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Friday, August 28, 2009

~ Chicken Fajitas

Since moving out here, I’ve tried to do a lot more cooking. Obviously I have more time on my hands so I need to do something, right? Cooking allows me to get creative in the kitchen and gives me a good excuse to drink wine, and lots of it, while I’m at it.


Tonight, with KJ napping on that really comfy couch and my Murphy zonked out on the floor, I got busy in the kitchen and made chicken fajitas for dinner. And they were, if I say so myself, simply fabulous!


When I decide on a meal I want to try, I scour all over trying to find the perfect recipe. I go online to the cooking sites that I have bookmarked, check the Food Network site and their magazine I get. Today, no single recipe really tripped my trigger. So what I did was take what I liked about the ones that I found, combined this with that and then winged it on my own. I did the same thing not too long ago and got a great Black Bean Salad that I’ll share another time.


All the recipes that I found called for chicken breasts, cut into strips and then browned with seasoning. But, I had ‘prepared’ chicken strips for fajitas that I bought from Costco so I doctored them up with seasoning and a ‘secret ingredient’.


Chicken Fajitas


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or the pre-packaged chicken breasts)

Mrs Dash (whichever flavor you like best)

1 green bell pepper

1 medium sized onion

1/4 cup brown sugar (the secret ingredient)

1/4 stick butter

tortillas


Condiments:


sour cream

pico de gallo

guacamole

shredded cheese


Cut chicken breasts into strips and season with Mrs. Dash seasoning. Place in a skillet with half of the butter and cook until done and lightly browned. When the chicken strips are browned, add a small amount of water and the brown sugar. Cook until the chicken is caramelized.


Cut the green pepper and onion into strips and saute in a separate pan using the remaining butter. Saute until the onions are caramelized and the peppers are tender with crispy edges.



Serve with warm tortillas and the above condements and enjoy!!



The entire meal took me about 30 minutes to prepare and get on the table. Quick, easy and delicious!!


No comments:

Post a Comment