Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

~ My Addiction


















I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think it’s time I finally talk openly about my addiction. Yes, I know ~ you’re all shocked and speechless. But, I’ve heard it’s always best to be totally open with your friends and family about any addiction. That way, they can plan an intervention.


That being said, I’m totally addicted to HGTV and the Food Network channel. Because of my addictions, I’m slowly becoming my own version of Martha Stewart and my decorating sense is now being fine tuned.


On a trip to Atlanta with my friend Kate about 8 years ago, I brought back this rock that says, “Martha Stewart Doesn’t Live Here.” To this day, that rock sits in its little stand right next to my stove. This has been fair warning to anyone who enters my kitchen that while it's my domain, I’m still only mediocre in the kitchen and in my decorating sense.


When the kids were small, they could always expect the cookies to be burned on the bottom. And bless Lynsays little Stinkerbell heart; she would always give me that big, beautiful smile and tell me she liked them best that way. God, I love her!


But now my addictions are helping me overcome my obstacles in the kitchen. Last night I wowed myself with homemade Ham & Bean soup with Cheesey Biscuits. Tonight, it was Scalloped Potatoes w/ Ham and for dessert, I made an apple cobbler. While KJ isn’t a big fan of apples, he said it wasn’t too bad. I love apple cobbler but admittedly, my mom’s peach cobbler is the best I’ve ever had.


The recipe for the apple cobbler came off the Food Network channel and the show was Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee. Because I enjoyed it and because it turned out really good, I’m blogging the recipe with pictures.


Apple Raisin Betty


Ingredients:

Butter flavored cooking spray

2 (21 oz) cans apple pie filling (recommended: Comstock)

1 tsp ground cinnamon

3 packets Instant Oatmeal w/ raisins & spice

6 tbsp butter, divided


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375

Spray a 8x8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray

Spread 1/2 of apple pie filling on the bottom of casserole dish

Sprinkle w/ cinnamon and 1/2 of the packets of oatmeal

Dot w/ butter

Reapeat w/ remaining ingredients

Cover w/ foil and bake for 1 hour

Remove from oven; let sit 5-10 minutes before serving


*Side notes:

Because I was at Walmart picking up a few other things, I went ahead and got my ingredients there. I found that Walmart carries the Comstock brand and right now, they’re carrying a limited flavor....Caramel Apple. So, I used one can of the Caramel Apple and one can of the regular apple pie filling. With the instant oatmeal, I used 2 packages of Cinnamon & Spice and 1 package of Apples & Cinnamon.


Because KJ isn’t a big apple fan, next time I’m going to try blueberry or cherry; Quaker makes a Blueberry & Cream instant oatmeal so that will be perfect.



Now, did someone say intervention?? Wait, let me make coffee first . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment