Live simply

Love generously

Care deeply

Speak kindly

Thursday, October 29, 2009

~ What's For Dinner


















The past few nights, except for the raging monsoon like winds, the weather in California has been almost ‘fall-ish.’ During the days, we’ve been seeing temps in the 70’s and at night, when the sun sinks down below the horizon, we’ve been enjoying much cooler temps....sometimes as low as 50. With the lower temps comes my nesting instincts. It’s the time of year when I want to sit in front of the fireplace with a good book, a nice warm throw and a glass of wine....or two.


I miss fall in Nebraska where I could come home from school, slip into my jammies, fix a chili or a stew for dinner and then just enjoy. So, last night that’s exactly what I did. Well, except for the coming home from school part. I fixed a white chicken chili for dinner, using a recipe I got when I was in Oklahoma City with my mom. Her friend Margie fixed this wonderful chili for us and of course I had to get the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as KJ and I did.




Margie’s White Chicken Chili


1 32oz box of chicken broth

3 cans (14.5 oz) white beans - undrained

5 cups cooked chicken (cans from Costco)

1 16oz jar salsa

8 ozs shredded pepper jack cheese

2 tsp ground cumin

2 cloves garlic (minced)

Black or white pepper to taste

1/2 cup finely crushed corn chips (optional for thicker chili)


Place all ingredients (excpet corn chips) into crockpot and cook on high until cheese is melted. (Chili may also be cooked on stove top on medium high heat until cheese is melted.)


When chili is ready, add finely crushed corn chips and let simmer for 10 minutes to thicken.


Garnish with more crushed corn chips, cheese or sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment